So Free! recently finished up, and for the most part, it’s been a pretty enjoyable show. However, don’t be fooled by its appearance. As I mentioned in my first impressions, despite Free! being a sports anime, it’s definitely not aimed at your typical sports anime viewer. If you like Kyoto Animation’s “girlier/moe” shows like K-On, then Free! will definitely be up your street. If you’re more of a fan of regular sports anime like Giant Killing and Hajime no Ippo, you might want to give this a pass.
For those of you who don’t know much about Free, be sure to check out my first post on the show.
If you do, here’s a few reasons you might want to watch (or not watch) Free! Iwatobi Swim Club:
- Awesome animation
- It’s pretty funny
- Doesn’t rely on stereotypes the way a lot of typical sports anime does
- Consistently entertaining
- It’s really dramatic and tense towards the end…
- … but the drama isn’t what you’d expect it to be about
- Lots of fanservice (this can be bumped up into The Good category if you’re into bishonen/pretty boys)
- There’s a lot of homoerotic subtext, which is isn’t a problem…
- … except when it comes across as a bit cheesy and pandering
If you’re looking for an action packed sports anime… well, there’s a bit of that in Free, but it’s not the main focus of the show. It’s more about the relationships between the characters so if you’re interested in character driven stories, with a fair helping of bishonen fanservice, you should definitely check it out.