In honour of this great movie’s crass humour, I shall be writing this review in the tone of the movie. Taking that into account, this review will definitely be NSFW (Not Safe for Work), so do not click the link below if naughty language might get you in trouble. If you’re still curious as to what I thought about the movie but don’t want to read the rest of this foul mouthed review, here’s the deal: it’s really funny, but it’s also kind of weird, and remember this is coming from a guy who, at best, would be described as a very open-minded eccentric. It will undoubtedly offend conservative people (particularly if you are grossed out by the sight of male genitalia , or if you have strict religious views), so don’t say I didn’t warn you.
If you want to get the complete low-down, keep on reading.
This the End is the story of a group of actors and their attempt to survive the Apocalypse. Jay Baruchel arrives in LA and decides to crash with his old buddy Seth Rogen. Unfortunately for Jay, he gets dragged along to a party at James Franco’s house by Seth. Jay is less than eager to go since Jonah Hill is going to be there, and Jay thinks Jonah hates him. Not long after arriving at the party, the proverbial shit hits the fan, and the survivors must figure out what the hell is going on and how to stay alive.
(Read this in Seth Rogen’s voice)
- It’s really fucking funny
- It’s got good performances (which is to be expected considering the actors are playing slightly altered versions of themselves)
- There’s great chemistry between all the actors involved
- It’s a little light on story
- There’s a lot of dicks in the second half of the movie (seriously, I didn’t expect there to be so much cock)…
- … and a lot of references to bodily functions…
- … which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view
- This isn’t really a “bad” point, but this movie will be offensive to some people
Just to emphasize what I said in the opening paragraph, this movie is really funny! It’s also very likely to offend some people. If you’re easily offended (I doubt you made it this far into the review if you are) then stay away. If not, watch it. It’s not going to win any awards, but it’ll definitely make you laugh.