Holy shit! This movie is good!
John Wick is the story of a retired hitman who has recently lost his wife. All he has left is his dog, and his car. One day John stops to fill gas when a guy offers to buy his car. He tells the stranger that his car is not for sale and leaves. It turns out the buyer is Iosef, the son of a very powerful mobster and he thinks he’s invincible. He breaks into John’s house with two of his men, beats John up, kills his dog, and steals his car. When his father Viggo finds out, he calls in every available man to protect his son and to kill John Wick.
- Keanu Reaves delivers an absolutely stellar performance (even though is an action flick, when it slows down you get to see one of the best performances of the year)
- The action is incredibly visceral, and will have you writhing when it gets really intense
- Kick ass choreography (it’s directed by a stunt man)
- Some truly funny moments
- Extremely well paced
- Incredibly cool world that feels like it’s straight out of the pages of a well written graphic novel
- Very well shot
- From what I could tell, very little use of CG (if it could be done without computers, they did it without computers)
- Some fantastic one liners, all delivered amazingly well
- It keeps it simple
- There is a lot of extreme violence (not for sensitive viewers)
- There’s only one moment where I go “Wait, why didn’t he…”
This is the best action thriller I’ve seen since Payback. If you like action movies, just go see it.
Only keep on reading if you don’t mind swear words nastier than shit.
Seriously, this movie doesn’t fuck around by trying to add unnecessary depth to what is a very simple revenge story. It gives you enough that by the 30 minute mark you are going “Yeah John, you go bury those fuckers who killed your dog!” And that’s all it needs. Definitely one of my favourite movies of 2014.