Geek Ink Updates: The madness! It never ends!

Again this week has flown by, this time thanks to a sample treatment I needed to finish.

So I got an email back regarding my application for the creative researchers position, and I was asked if I could meet certain specific requirements. After a couple of mails back and forth, I was asked to complete a sample treatment for a television ad. A rough script, basic brief, and some sample treatments were sent through for me to work from.

I took a quick look through the material on Tuesday evening, but it wasn’t until the following day that I realised that the requested date was in fact Friday morning at 9 am. After discovering this, I briefly panicked (I hadn’t written a treatment in seven years), and then realised that I had given my word and simply had to get it done. It wouldn’t be my best work, but it would be finished.

The treatment involved me tweaking the script, tracking down video references, sourcing high quality images, doing a director’s writeup on each aspect of the production, and then finally putting the whole thing together in InDesign.

The first phase, tweaking the script, was easy. I worked off a suggestion made in the brief and managed to make it a lot more humorous than it currently was.

Tracking down video references was harder, but thanks to the magic of Youtube, I managed to find a few videos that I felt were applicable to the style and tone of the ad, as well as providing some much needed reference for a specific type of dancing.

Sourcing high quality images was a bitch! You have an idea in your head, and then you need to track down an image that’s vaguely similar to it. Talk about freaking difficult. The first problem I came across was the lack of free stock image libraries online. Thankfully DeviantArt has a large stock community, so I was able to source some images from there. The rest I had to try and source using search engines, and most of the time I had to make do with something that was sort-of-vaguely-but-not-really-related.

Then came the director’s writeup. I had to look through several of the examples given and I ended up in two minds about what was required. Some of the information that was written was useful. Things like shooting styles, lighting, important visual elements, were all fine and made sense to me. The problem was that a lot of it is written like marketing bullshit. Basically, it’s there to fool smaller minds into believing this is something more grand than it is, and I personally find it fucking annoying. Give me the information I need to know and spare me the unnecessary jargon. I tried to incorporate a lot of that style into my writeup, but in the end I think I defaulted to less bullshit, more important production information.

Which left me with one final step. Putting the whole thing together in InDesign. Now I’m a very fast learner when it comes to computer software, and having had a fair amount of experience with Adobe’s other products, so I got used to InDesign’s system pretty quickly. I wouldn’t describe what I produced as a visual masterpiece, but I think it came out pretty well considering I have zero official design experience (a fact that my potential employer is aware of), and my fairly tight deadlines.

I managed to ship it out late last night and have yet to hear anything back, but even if nothing comes of it, I’m just glad it’s done. I’m doing work, and I’m getting it out there. I will upload my sample treatment at a later date, but for now I’m off home. With a bit of luck I should get there as the power comes on! Huzzah!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s